PUEBLO, Colo. (April 5, 2018) – After an off-week, Colorado State University-Pueblo Baseball begins the second half of their 16-game homestand when they host Adams State University and New Mexico Highlands University in a pod starting Friday when the Pack plays the Grizzlies at 3 p.m. CSU-Pueblo will face the Cowboys Saturday at 1 p.m. and conclude the series with a doubleheader Sunday starting at 12 p.m.
Friday's game will be Pack it with the Pack Night as ThunderWolf student-athletes support the baseball team. There will also be a Pack Trivia contest and giveaways during the game. The Pack will play New Mexico Highlands Sunday at 12 p.m. and the battle the Grizzlies at 3 p.m. There will be a hot wing eating contest between games Sunday.
- The Pack brings a 15-14 record into the weekend. CSU-Pueblo has a 7-9 record in Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference play. They currently sit seventh in the RMAC just one game out of a playoff spot. Of the Pack's 20 games remaining, 16 will be played against teams with .500 records or worse.
- CSU-Pueblo ranks sixth in D-II in fielding percentage. Their 24 errors are the least in the RMAC. The Pack owns a .975 fielding clip.
-The Pack has been great at home this season with an 11-6 record at Rawlings Field. They have exactly 250 wins at home since 2005.
- Mason Krueger (Jr., Draper, Utah) led the Pack to a victory over No. 8 Colorado Mesa University in the Pack's last game with a 4-for-4 showing. Krueger ranks ninth in the RMAC with a .375 batting average. His 33 runs scored stand sixth in the conference.
- Jorge Duarte (Sr., San Luis, Ariz.) enters the weekend on a 15-game hitting streak. He is batting .377 over that span. Duarte has scored nine runs and driven in 10 more over that span.
- Senior Ambrose Romero (Albuquerque, N.M.) ranks fourth in the RMAC with a .485 on base percentage. His 25 walks place him sixth in the RMAC. Romero ranks ninth in the RMAC in fielding percentage (.989).
- Gilbert Sauceda (Jr., Indio, Calif.) has drawn 26 walks, ranking him third in the RMAC and 21st in D-II. Sauceda's .995 fielding percentage is the fourth-best in the conference. The Pack's first baseman has a .442 on base percentage.
- Dakota Popham (Jr., Colorado Springs, Colo.) leads the Pack with a .391 batting average. He ranks seventh in the RMAC in average. Popham's 19 RBIs rank second on the team, behind Romero's 20.
- Jason Lighthall (Sr., Littleton, Colo.) ranks fifth in the RMAC among qualified players with a 4.06 ERA. Zach Hoffman (Sr., South Jordan, Utah) has a 4.45 ERA, ninth-best among qualified players in the conference.
Scouting Adams State:
- The Grizzlies are in last place in the RMAC with a 1-15 conference mark. They are 1-29 overall, with their lone win coming March 18. They have lost eight in a row in since then.
- Adams State has the worst ERA in the RMAC with a 9.44 team ERA. Opponents are batting .334 against them.
- The Grizzlies have only mustered 109 runs, 57 runs less than anyone else in the conference. Their .263 average is also the worst in the RMAC.
- The Cowboys bring an 11-22 record overall into this weekend's pod. They are 6-14 in RMAC play. The Cowboys upset then No .5 Colorado Mesa with a split in their four-game series last week.
- This weekend will feature the fifth and sixth meeting of the season between the Pack and the Cowboys. CSU-Pueblo swept Highlands in a four-game series at Rawlings Field March 16-18. Duarte had two walk off hits during the series.
-Garrett Hammer and James Cordova are a 1-2 punch for the Cowboys. Hammer ranks fourth in the RMAC with 34 RBIs. Cordova's 33 RBIs place him fifth in the conference.
– 30 –
As a member of the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference, Colorado State University – Pueblo competes in 22 varsity sports in NCAA Division II intercollegiate athletics