PUEBLO, Colo. (March 15, 2018) – After a 12-game road trip, Colorado State University-Pueblo Baseball returns home for 16 consecutive games at Rawlings Field. The Pack's homestand starts with a four-game series against New Mexico Highlands University beginning Friday at 6 p.m.
CSU-Pueblo will face the Cowboys in a doubleheader Saturday with the first of these two 7 inning games getting under way at 1 p.m. The ThunderWolves will conclude their four-game series with NMHU Sunday when the two teams square off at 1 p.m.
Friday's game will be Faculty & Staff Appreciation Night. All CSU-Pueblo faculty and staff members will receive free admission to Friday's game between the Pack and Cowboys with their staff ID.
-The Pack enters the weekend 10-11 overall with a 2-6 record in Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference play. CSU-Pueblo is the second-best fielding team in the RMAC making 97.3 percent of the plays that come their way defensively.
- Dakota Popham (Jr., Colorado Springs, Colo.) shares the RMAC lead in batting average. Popham is hitting.450 on the season. The designated hitter ranks fifth in the RMAC with a .733 slugging percentage. His .493 on base percentage ranks fifth, while his 19 runs scored place him in a tie for eighth.
- Ambrose Romero (Sr., Albuquerque, N.M.) ranks sixth in the RMAC with a .481 on base percentage. Romero has drawn 17 walks this season, second most in the RMAC. His eight doubles are tied for fourth most in the conference.
- Senior Jorge Duarte (San Luis, Ariz.) has entered the starting lineup with a vengeance. Duarte has a seven-game hitting streak, batting .476 with six runs scored over that span. He is hitting .389 on the year.
- First Baseman Gilbert Sauceda (Jr., Indio, Calif.) leads the RMAC with 20 walks. Sauceda's .448 on base percentage ranks third on the Pack.
- Mason Krueger (Jr., Draper, Utah) ranks fourth in the RMAC with 22 runs scored. Krueger shares the team lead with Popham for home runs. He has three dingers on the year.
- Zach Hoffman (Sr., South Jordan, Utah) leads the RMAC with four triples. However, it was Hoffman's work on the mound last week that helped the Pack beat Colorado School of Mines Sunday. Hoffman threw 7.0 scoreless innings of relief. He allowed just three hits and three walks, while striking out seven. The lefty ranks second among Pack starters with a 4.95 ERA and a 9.90 k/9 ratio.
- Jason Lighthall (Sr., Littleton, Colo.) ranks seventh in the RMAC with 27.0 innings pitched. Lighthall leads Pack starters with a 4.67 ERA.
Scouting New Mexico Highlands:
The Cowboys stand 7-13 (3-5 RMAC). NMHU has the worst batting average of any team in the conference, hitting .252.
Kyle Bledsoe has emerged as an ace for the Cowboys. Bledsoe ranks third in the RMAC with 30 strikeouts. He is tied for the conference lead with four wins.
The Pack won 4-of-6 from the Cowboys last year. The series between the two teams has been pretty close over the last 10 seasons with the Pack leading 30-29.
– 30 –
As a member of the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference, Colorado State University – Pueblo competes in 22 varsity sports in NCAA Division II intercollegiate athletics.